ANSI Z245 Standards Development Overview
Committee/Subcommittee Structure/Member Rosters | Call for Members
ANSI Members Only Information | Purchase a Copy of Standards | Contact Committee Secretariat
The Waste Equipment Technology Association represents the Environmental Industry Associations as the Secretariat for American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Accredited Standards Committee Z245 on Equipment Technology and Operations for Wastes and Recyclable Materials.
The approved scope of the ANSI Z245 committee’s standards activities encompasses the requirements for the design, manufacture, installation, modification, servicing, maintenance and use of the equipment and technology systems that are used to collect, contain, transport, store, process, recycle, treat and dispose of solid wastes and recyclable materials, and includes the operations of facilities and activities in which these equipment and technologies are incorporated.
Proposals for Z245 standards are developed within the ANSI Z245’s subcommittee structure. These subcommittees, which are less formal, drafting groups, are comprised of expertise related to the subject matter being addressed. Membership is open to anyone who has a material interest in the standards drafted by the subcommittee. Membership requests should be sent to the ANSI Z245 Committee Secretariat.
The ANSI Z245 Accredited Standards Committee is the official consensus body for standards developed under the approved scope of the Committee’s activities, and as such, it:
- Acts as the point of final formal approval for all aspects of the Z245 standards development process;
- Approves all proposed new, revised or reauthorized standards for referral to the American National Standards Institute for consideration as ANSI Standards;
- Oversees the ongoing work of the various subcommittees; and
- Resolves all comments received through the public comment process and issues interpretations, acting as the point of first appeal.
The Accredited Standards Committee Z245 operates in accordance the ANSI-approved Operating Procedures for Accredited Standards Committee Z245 on Equipment Technology and Operations for Wastes and Recyclable Materials.
The membership of the ANSI Z245 Accredited Standards Committee consists of organizations, companies, government agencies, individuals, etc., having a direct and material interest in the activities of the Committee. The selection and addition of members, along with their interest category, is subject to approval by a majority vote of the Committee
Interest categories form the basis of representation on the ANSI Z245 Accredited Standards Committee. The voting seats are assigned to interest categories based on their national scope and broad based representation of that sector(s) of the industry. The balance among the interest groups is carefully maintained so that no single category of interests can dominate the voting of the Committee. The established interest categories for the committee are:
- Manufacturer – manufacturer of equipment included within the scope of the committee
- User – end-user of equipment or facilities included within the scope of the committee (e.g., solid waste hauling company, material recycling facility operator, commercial waste generator)
- Trade Association or Professional Society – not-for-profit organizations whose members are manufacturers, distributors or end-users of equipment or facilities included within the scope of the standard
- Regulatory Agency – a federal, state or local regulatory authority having jurisdiction over the approval of equipment or facilities included within the scope of the committee or having jurisdiction for the safe operation of those equipment or facilities.
- Insurance – companies having an interest in the safety and insurable risk of equipment or facilities included within the scope of the committee
- Labor – individuals or organizations, including unions, having an interest in the equipment or facilities included within the scope of the committee
- Distributor or Dealer –an individual or company involved with the sale, installation or modification of equipment included within the scope of the committee
- Consultant – individuals or organizations providing expertise in the design, manufacture, installation, modification, servicing, maintenance and use equipment or facilities included within the scope of the committee
- General Interest – organization or individual that has an interest within the subject matter of the standards, but neither produces or uses it directly (e.g., academia, testing laboratory)
Accredited Standards Committee Z245 Secretariat
Secretariat, ANSI Z245 Accredited Standards Committee
c/o Environmental Industry Associations
4301 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 300
Washington, DC 20008-2304
Janice Comer Bradley
Phone: 202-364-3701 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org