Member Buy from Member Program
The National Waste and Recycling Association on February 10, 2014 is launching a program to increase the visibility of our supplier, manufacturer and service providers to other member companies who buy their products. This program will communicate “member-only” discounts, promotions or events. Association members aren’t required to offer special promotions to participate in the program. (All supplier members will be included, automatically and free of charge.) However, we will help any company wanting to communicate about a specific promotion or wanting to create one. The program also will involve events and programs that showcase supplier-members products and services to inform the hauler members and facilitate buying. The program has four parts:
Announcement by association members of their preference to do business with other members whenever possible: As part of the official launch, the association will issue a press release on February 10 announcing both the program and our members’ preference to do business with each other whenever possible. We will work with members to announce their support of the program. The Association will provide promotional tools so members can tell their customers and vendors about their participation in the program. This kit will include press release samples, email templates, and talking points on the program. A Member Buy from Member webpage will go online with the launch that will list all supplier members, what they sell and any promotions they may be have for members. This page will also be where non-members are referred in order to join the association. This page will be live when the program launches.
Development of “member only” discounts, promotions and purchase programs: We will promote the use of discounts or other benefits for members to buy from members. In purchasing decisions we are asking members to consider membership as a purchasing criterion. In addition, we will arm purchasing teams with talking points and information to encourage vendors to become members, and refer non-members to the landing page mentioned above. The webpage will direct non-members to information on membership, and regularly update the membership on new members and promotions.
Events and programs that showcase supplier members’ products and services to inform the hauler members and facilitate buying: The Association will host online demo events and webinars, and arrange live events such as supplier/hauler “speed dating” events. Suppliers are also encouraged to host member only events and create member-only promotions. The webinars will begin in the spring of 2014. The live events will be held in conjunction with regional and chapter meetings as they take place throughout the year. A schedule for these will be released once it is finalized
Incentives for members to participate and for non-members to join: Incentives for members to participate in the program include annual awards for members that conduct the most business with other members, a marketing review program delivered by more tenured member companies, and facilitating member connections between haulers and suppliers. The full details of this incentive program will be defined on the Member Buy from Member website.
Other Program Updates
- The Association through its Women's Council is continuing its educational scholarship program to assist qualified individuals in their pursuit of education that will lead to productive careers in the waste and recycling industry. Three $5,000 scholarships will be awarded for the 2014-2015 academic year. Applications are due March 1, 2014. You may see all of the program requirements here. Through this program, now in its 7th year, 21 students have been awarded scholarships.
- Starting next week, we will begin offering our safety newsletter Safety Monday in Spanish. If you are now receiving Safety Monday, you will automatically receive it in English and Spanish.
- ANSI Z245.2-2013 The standard for Stationary Compactors: Safety Requirements for Installation, Maintenance, Operation, Modification and Repair) was approved on 12/4/2013. This is a revision of 2008 standard. This revised standard will be available for purchase on our website once we complete the final editing of the document.
Events & Activities
Planning is well underway for WasteExpo 2014, the industry's largest conference and tradeshow. WasteExpo 2014 is being held April 28 to May 1 in Atlanta, Georgia. In addition to the vibrant show floor and popular established events and educational programming, organizers are adding lots of fresh content and activities including:
- A Coca-Cola bottling plant tour and discussion on Coke’s global sustainability program,
- Super sessions (that will dig deep on the topics of landfill closure, site reuse and waste diversion through expert panels and case studies of Puente Hills and Fresh Kills),
- Sessions on handling difficult to recycle products such as glass and mattresses,
- Tech and education sessions combined with a tour on the show floor,
- Expanded truck safety inspection event,
- Risk management and safety sessions,
- Sessions on building recycling programs for commercial facilities and multi-family housing, and
- An “Ask the Expert” session (bring your questions on business development, social media, and more and get them answered in a one-on-one setting).
WasteExpo organizers are offering members of the National Waste & Recycling Association a FREE exhibit hall pass + 25 percent off the cost of a premium pass, if you register using the following promotional code. (Visit us at wasteexpo.com and register with code E5 to take advantage of this opportunity.)
The National Waste & Recycling Association has an exciting calendar of events representing the full breadth of our membership. Upcoming meetings include:
- The Association's first Waste & Recycling Industry Conference, planned for March 10-13, in Ponte Vedra, Florida, where a number of Association boards and committees will meet, and members will have networking and other educational opportunities. (Please save the dates. Registration information will be available soon.)
- The entire calendar of upcoming Association events, including various chapter events is available here.
Association Award Programs
The National Waste & Recycling Association is accepting nominations for our annual member awards programs. As in recent years, the Association will be honoring haulers, processors and recyclers and suppliers and manufacturers at the Association's annual awards breakfast on Tuesday, April 29, in conjunction with WasteExpo, in Atlanta.
- The awards for manufacturers and suppliers include the Supplier Member of the Year Award, the Supplier Member Distinguished Service Awards and Supplier Member Employees of the Year (in the following categories engineering, production and sales/marketing). Nominations for supplier and manufacturer awards are due by Friday, January 31. More information about the nominating process for suppliers and manufacturers may be found here.
- Information about nominations for awards for haulers, processors and recyclers will be distributed in a future update.